St. Muredach's Cathedral
St. Muredach's Cathedral is the Cathedral Church of the Diocese of Killala. Work on the Cathedral began in 1827. The stone was quarried locally and the roof and ceiling were completed before the Great Famine of 1845. The spire was completed in 1855 and by 1875 the organ had been installed.
The Augustinian Abbey
The remains of the Augustinian Abbey, beside the Cathedral, date from the late 14th century. Little remains of the Abbey apart from the beautiful doorway. The monastery was active until its dissolution under Elizabeth 1. The Augustinians, however, did not leave and Priors of the Abbey were appointed continuously to 1835 though the Abbey was in ruin and much like it is at present.
The monument was erected in 1898 to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the French landing at Killala in 1798. A Dublin craftsman originally sculptured the monument but in recent years it has been beautifully restored locally by G.J. Ginty & Sons. The figure on the monument is not Humbert but Mother Ireland. It was moved to its present position in 1987.
The Font in Ballina
The monument of polished granite, at the junction of Bury Street and Teeling Street is known locally as The Font. Originally it was a watering place for horses. It was erected in memory of George Vaughan Jackson, a local landlord who met with an untimely death when he was thrown from his horse.
Saint Patrick's Well
St. Patrick has a strong association with the area, not only with St. Patrick's Well situated on the Killala Road, but the original Kilmoremoy Church was constructed by St. Patrick during his time in the area. The ruins of this church are to be found in the nearby League Cemetery.
Moyne Abbey is situated at the mouth of the River Moy overlooking Bartra Island. It is 3.5 kilometres from Killala Town. It was founded by permission of Pope Nicholas for the Observantine Franciscans in 1460. The founder may have been McWilliams Bourke or one of the Barrett family. The Church consists of a rectangular nave
Rosserk Abbey is situated on the west bank of the River Moy approximately 4 kilometres from Killala town. This is an Abbey of the third order of Franciscans. It was founded in 1400 by a Norman called Joyce. It is the best preserved Franciscan Abbey in Ireland.
Killala Round Tower
The Killala Round Tower is situated in the town of Killala. It is a well preserved tower and stands 26 metres high on a plinth 1metre high. The doorway is 3.5 metres above ground level. Damaged by lightening in the last century, it was repaired by Bishop Verschoyle. The original monastic foundation dates back to the 5th century when St. Patrick appointed Muiredach as first bishop of Killala
There are numerous cromlechs or dolmens scattered over the Irish countryside. These are very large stones, standing upright, with one bid flat rock laid on top of them. There are usually three uprights and one table rock. They mark the burial places of Kings, princes and persons of royal blood but there is only one in Ireland which, according to Dr O'Donovan, can be satisfactorily connected with history. This is in a field in Ballina, Co. Mayo just behind the railway station.
Fr. Peyton Memorial Centre, Attymass
Fr Peyton was one of Ireland's most famous priests and was internationally known as the 'Rosary Priest'. The Fr Peyton CSC Memorial Centre was officially opened and dedicated on 10th October 1998. The Centre commemorates the life and apostolic work of Fr Peyton CSC. The Centre is a place of respite, prayer and peace. It is highly respected by pilgrims and is a popular tourist attraction. Tel: +353 (0) 96 45374
Knock Marian Shrine & Knock Folk Museum
Ireland's National Marian Shrine is located in Knock, County Mayo on the West Coast of Ireland and the Western edge of Europe. The Story of Knock began on the 21st August 1879 when Our Lady, St. Joseph and St. John the Evangelist appeared at the south gable of Knock Parish Church. The apparition was witnessed by fifteen people, young and old. From this miraculous occurrence Knock has grown to the status of an internationally recognised Marian Shrine
Ballintubber's history goes back to pre-Christian times. When St Patrick brought Christianity to Ireland in c.441AD, he founded a church at Ballintubber. The present Abbey was founded in 1216 by King Cathal O'Conor. Visitor to Ballintubber can enjoy the Historic Ballintubber Abbey, The Celtic Furrow Visitor Centre, The Ballintubber Abbey Retreat Experience and theThe Tóchar Phádrai. Open Daily 9am - 12 midnight
Michael Davitt Museum
Michael Davitt is a famous Irish historical figure. The Michael Davitt Museum is now housed in the magnificently restored pre-penal church in the village of Straide, County Mayo. The Michael Davitt Museum contains an extensive collection of documents, photos, Land Acts, letters, postcards, posters and other items connected with Davitt's life. Open Daily 10am - 6pm
The Coleman Irish Music Centre
The Coleman Irish Music Centre is a celebration of Irish Music, Culture and Heritage as expressed in the South Sligo Style of music played by Michael Coleman and other musicians of his time. This community based enterprise is dedicated to ensuring that the tradition of Irish music remains a living one 'an traidisiún beo' and that it continues to be enjoyed by all ages and nationalities . E:email@example.com